Chinese Spring Festival: THANK YOU for helping Sunrise Drive Elementary celebrate the Year of the Dog! Our Sunrise community celebrated its 5th annual Chinese Spring Festival on Friday, March 2, 2018. Thank you to our wonderful staff and parent volunteers who helped make this year’s festival the best one yet! Here are some highlights:
- over 1,020 people attended
- 38 parent volunteers, 40 community volunteers, 40 CFHS volunteers
- performances from Tucson Chinese Cultural Center, Lion dancers, Chinese Yo Yo performers, Tucson Chinese School Folk Dance, University of Arizona Confucius Institute Instrumentalists and Martial Arts Performeres
- 369 meals sold; 10% of profits went to Sunrise FFO
- $583 in books raised for Chinese classrooms through China Sprout Book Fair
- Student art displayed throughout the school–thank you Ms. Carton!
- Activities throughout the school (photo booth, face painting, lantern painting, calligraphy and more)
LOOKING FOR SPRING FESTIVAL CO-CHAIRS for (2018-2019): We are looking for a group of 4-6 parents who would like to co-chair next year’s festival as a team! If you would like more information, or are interested in co-chairing, please contact Anita McGuire or Jenny Dessent.
We have many opportunities for Sunrise Drive families to become involved in programs and events throughout the school year in the Chinese Immersion program! Visit this page and read the FFO Digest to learn more about upcoming Chinese Immersion program events and volunteer opportunities.
Resources: Sunrise families, please visit our Chinese Resource page for links to websites, specialized apps for students to enhance their exposure to the Chinese language, and more info about local Chinese language and culture.
Classroom Books: This year, we are pleased to announce that each immersion grade level Chinese teacher has the opportunity to purchase Chinese books for use in the classroom.
We are always looking for parent volunteers who are interested in helping with this book ordering process, communicating with teachers via email regarding their book orders, helping to order, track inventory and distributing the books.
Please contact Anita McGuire, if you are interested in volunteering.
ChinaSprout Book Fair: The ChinaSprout Book Fair occurs annually at Sunrise Drive Elementary during the Chinese Spring Festival. At the ChinaSprout book fair, a large selection of books and educational products are sold to Sunrise families, and families also have the opportunity to supply teachers with additional resources for their classrooms.
Please contact Kirstin Girdner,if you are interested in volunteering.
Chinese Immersion Liaisons: Each grade level has parent liaison(s) to help communicate information about the immersion program and upcoming events to Sunrise families. Here is the list of the liaisons for each grade level for school year (2017-2018):
- FFO Executive Chinese Immersion Liaison: Anita McGuire
- Kindergarten: Nadya Novak
- 1st Grade: Jennie Jacob
- 2nd Grade: Margaret Barber
- 3rd Grade: Teresa Sommers
- 4th Grade: Maria Johnson and Lara Ratterman
- 5th Grade: Anita McGuire and Jenny Dessent
Please email Jenny Dessent with any suggestions.